There are a variety of products in our homes and on our tables that we may not realize are bad for our pets. In the event that these products are consumed, severe illness and even death can be a result. In order to prevent your beloved pet from experiencing illness or death, we are here to provide you with a little more information and what your pet should not eat or drink.
Surprisingly enough, many people will allow their pets to consume alcoholic beverages in order to watch how they react to it. Their pets will stagger around confusedly, and sometimes their owners get a good laugh or find it entertaining. What those owners don’t know, is that even what seems like a small, harmless amount of alcohol can be deadly to a pet. They can even be affected by fermented foods if they consume enough of them. In pets, alcohol causes damage to their liver, kidneys and nervous system. Fairly similar to the way that it effects humans, but more severely.
The seeds or pits of some fruits can also be damaging to your pet. If you remember when you were younger, you were likely to have heard a story about becoming pregnant if you ate watermelon seeds. Well…think of it that way when you consider how it hurts your pet. This is to include things such as apple seeds, apricot pits, cherry pits, grape seeds, mustard seeds, peach pits, and many others. These things are poisonous to animals and can cause internal damage that may even be irreversible.
Most people are unaware that chocolate is particularly harmful to pets, especially dogs. Chocolate contains the toxic sweetener Xylitol, which is particularly poisonous for animals. All candy containing this ingredient can be quite harmful to your pet. When consumed in large amounts, it can cause irreversible damage and even death. Be sure that your pet doesn’t have access to any of the goodies that may be lying around your home. It is especially important to remind children of this as well. They may want to share their goodies with their furry friend, but don’t realize that it will hurt them.
Other common household items that are bad for your buddy include, but are not limited to: coffee (both grounds and beans alike, avocados, garlic, grapes, gum, macadamia nuts, mushrooms, onions and onion powder, potato leaves and stems, raisins, salt, tea, walnuts, yeast dough, rhubarb leaves, tomato leaves and stems, moldy foods, and many others.
While we might think that because we are able to eat certain foods, our pets can as well, we are wrong most of the time. It is a common misconception and happens quite frequently. If you feel that you may have fed your pet something harmful for them, contact your local vet immediately for advice and tips on what to do. At Adobe Veterinary Clinic, we are here for any of your needs, questions, or concerns. Call us today for more information on how to keep your pet safe!